Camping season is here, and while simply getting out into nature and enjoying the fresh air and break from everyday life may be the ultimate goal, fun activities to do along the way only add to the experience. And for those camping with kids, games and entertainment are crucial elements in a successful outing for all. Luckily, we’ve compiled a list of six unique things to do while camping that are perfect for all ages that you can take along for your next trip. And even better, unlike board games, these options don’t include small pieces that can get lost at your campsite during the excitement.
- Alphabet Hunt. This game is fairly simple and great for younger children that are learning their ABCs. Working together as a group, name an object that is either at your campsite or visible from your campsite that begins with each letter of the alphabet, working your way from A to Z. For example, a for ant, b for blanket, and so on.
- Squirt Gun Races. Be sure to pack the squirt guns for this one! To play, set up a line of empty plastic cups along the edge of a picnic table, which each team will then attempt to squirt the cups off of. There are many ways you can play this game, with one being to see who can knock the most cups off in a given amount of time, and another being a race to see who can clear the table of cups the fastest.
- Pass the Water. Like squirt gun races, this game is perfect for those hot, sunny days when you are looking for a way to cool off. Divide your crew into teams and have the teams stand in a line, one behind the other. Each person in the team gets a cup, with the person in the front receiving a cup full of water and everyone behind them getting empty cups. The first person then takes their cup of water, reaches it up and over their head, and pours it into the cup of the person behind them without turning around. If the last person in line has water in their cup, they then go to the front of the line and the process starts over. The last team with water wins.
- Catch or Don’t Catch. For this game, all you need is a ball of any size. Everyone stands in a circle except for one person who is in the middle with the ball. That player goes around the circle instructing others to “catch” or “don’t catch” and throwing the ball. If a player catches the ball when told not to, or the other way around, that player is out. This is a fast-paced game that is great for engaging all ages!
- Two Truths and a Lie. This one is a classic, with each player sharing three items of information about themselves – two of which are true, and one which is not. For example, “I know how to play the guitar, I’ve been to 42 states, and I can eat a whole bag of marshmallows in one sitting.” Each player then tries to guess which one is not true, and receives a point if they are correct. After each person has stated their ‘facts’, the person with the most points wins.
- Flashlight Tag. Keep the fun going once it gets dark! In this game, a person is chosen to be “it” and given a flashlight. They then attempt to “tag” another player with the light of the flashlight. This game is a great way to get out some energy before bedtime!
Take part in these fun camping games during your next visit to Glidden Canoe Rentals! We offer camping sites nestled in the beautiful Nebraska Sandhills, call us today at (308) 546-2206 to make a reservation!